Our strategic intention
Warwickshire Police and West Mercia Police serve 1.9 million people over the totality of the alliance created by the two forces. Covering an area of 3,623 sq miles (94,000 sq hectares) our communities reflect an enormous breadth of communities from the rurality of Herefordshire, Shropshire and South Warwickshire to the cities and towns of Worcester, Hereford, Telford, Nuneaton and Leamington.
Promoting equality of opportunity and celebrating diversity is a fundamental enabler of the alliance’s overarching vision ‘To protect people from harm’. It is intrinsic to our organisational culture, underpins our objectives and helps shape the way in which our services are designed and delivered.
We serve both our communities and staff and it is essential that we take into consideration and listen carefully to our many stakeholders. This overarching Equality and Diversity Strategy takes into account external stakeholders and the views of officers and staff that make up our alliance.
There is a statutory duty for police forces to apply the Equality Act 2010. It is our intention to not only continue to meet statutory obligations but, through regular reviews, improve the way we serve our communities via meaningful objectives and measurement of progress.
Our commitment to equality and diversity supports our four corporate objectives and strategic goals as identified in our 2015 - 2018 Business Plan detailed below.
The Strategy is consistent with our overarching mission, is informed by appropriate boards and has a formal governance structure. Detailed action plans are managed and reported on to the Executive Board via the Strategic Diversity Group.
Organisational (Policing Services):
• Demonstrate leadership and commitment and continuous improvement
• A workforce that understands and responds to the different needs of society
• Robust equality analysis to inform our decision making.
Operational (Policing Services):
• Increase in levels of trust, confidence and understanding within our diverse communities
• Support the most vulnerable and most likely to be at harm
• Meaningful and targeted engagement, leading to positive outcomes.
People and culture:
• Ensure staff feel valued and respected
• Organisation reflects the diverse communities we serve
• Staff are informed and empowered to innovate.